*Don’t forget to click the Yum button! 😀
Coffee and Cream cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp Kahlua
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, adjust to taste
- 2 tsp of espresso powder
- 5 tbsp Carolans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beating just until blended.
- Add vanilla, water and cocoa powder to another bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add chocolate mixture to batter and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
- Combine flour and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and kahlua to the batter. Begin by adding half of the dry mix, then mix well. Add the kahlua and mix well, scrapes down the sides as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners about half way. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Beat butter until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and the espresso powder, beat until smooth.
- Add 4 tbsp Carolans and remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add additional Carolans if needed to get the right consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto cupcakes.
- Drizzle cupcakes with caramel sauce.
- Mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until it gets thicker.
- Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further.
- Turn off the heat, cool slightly and pour the sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.
To make the frosting
To make the caramel sauce