These Cupcakes are very, very delicious! Since everything is from scratch, they take a little more time, but it is so worth it. The flavor is incredible!
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
*Don’t forget to click the Yum button! 😀
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup hot water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (regular fat)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, diced into pieces
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Chocolate Frosting
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 - 4 tsp heavy cream, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds. Add in oil, milk, egg and vanilla extract and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour in hot water and stir until well combined. Add in sour cream and mix until combined. Fill paper lined muffin cups 3/4 full and bake in preheated oven for 16 – 19 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean (or with a few moist crumbs). Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes in muffin pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, top each cupcake with the Coconut Pecan Topping then pipe the Chocolate Frosting over it. Store in an airtight container.
- In a medium saucepan combine, evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar and butter. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and mix in shredded coconut and chopped pecans and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Place semi-sweet chocolate in a small sauce pander low heat, stirring until completely melted. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy. Blend in cocoa powdered on low speed, then blend in powdered sugar. With mixer running, slowly power in melted chocolate and blend until combined. Add in cream 1 tsp at a time, as needed to reach desired consistency.