I found this recipe for meatballs, and I gotta tell you, they are the best meatballs I have ever had!
I have quit eating meatballs from restaurants because they are such a let down. This recipe delivers!
Give it a try, and let me know what you think in the comments.
*Don’t forget to click the Yum button! 😀
- 3 slices white bread, diced or torn to pieces
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1 lb lean ground beef (7% fat)
- 1 lb Sweet Ground Italian sausage
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more to serve
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed with garlic press
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour to dredge meatballs
- Light olive oil to saute
- Combine bread pieces with the water and set aside 5 min then mash with a fork.
- In a large mixing bowl add: 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb sausage, ¼ cup parmesan, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 egg and mashed bread crumbs. Mix until well combined.
- Form into 1½" meatballs (about a flat ice cream scoop of meat). Dredge/roll meatballs in flour, dusting off excess. Heat a deep, large, heavy skillet or a Dutch oven over medium heat with about 3 Tbsp oil. Add meatballs in batches without crowding the pan and saute until browned on all sides (about 6 min total or 2 min per side). Remove meatballs and set aside (don't worry about cooking them through at this point).
- Add your sauce to the pan, or if you're making sauce from scratch do it the same pan.
- Once your sauce is done, add meatballs back into the pan, partially cover with lid or cover with a splatter screen to reduce splatter and cook at a gentle simmer for 20- 30 min, turning the meatballs occasionally. Meatballs will be tender and sauce will be thickened.
If you make these with all beef, add a tablespoon of Italian seasoning to the mix.
This will make a lot of meatballs, 20 or so. You may want to halve the recipe if you're cooking for 2.