Chicken pot pie….mmm…. It is the ultimate comfort food, right?
Over the years I have had a many chicken pot pies, homemade, restaurant, and even from the frozen section of the grocery store! Some were really good, some were not…..
I started making my own years ago, and the recipe has morphed over the years to what I am sharing with you today.
I make the crust from scratch, using this recipe, because why not? It really is quick and easy, and adds such incredible flavor! It is totally worth the effort!
As for the filling, I really just wing it, but I’ll share the basic recipe with you. As with any comfort food, play with the seasonings some, adjust to your taste.
I always make individual pies, in small dishes, 4-6 inches wide and 1 1/2-2 inches deep. You can make this in a standard 9-11 inch pie plate if you want.
*Don’t forget to click the Yum button! 😀
This recipe is for the filling only. Use this recipe for your dough I use individual dishes for the pies, 4 wide, 1 1/2-2 inches deep. This should make enough filling four 4 individual pies, depending on size.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound boneless/skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, (Carrots, peas, green bean, corn, lima beans)
- 1 Heat oven to 425°F.
- 2 In a lage skillet cook the chicken, season to taste, Set aside and let cool, then shred.
- 3 In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon into crust-lined dishes.
- 4 Cover each filled dish with dough. Trim, seal and crimp or flute edges.
- 5 Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.